Government lifts Ecuador travel ban

A ban on UK travel to mainland Ecuador has been lifted after less than two weeks.

The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office imposed the restriction on June 24 amid political unrest in the South American country.

However, onward travel to the Galapagos Islands, where many cruises operate, was allowed to continue.

The FCDO last night said it no longer advises against all but essential travel to mainland Ecuador.

But it continued to advise against all but essential travel to areas within 20km of the Ecuadorean border with Colombia, except the El Angel ecological reserve and the Rumichaca border crossing, the town of Tulcan and the pan-American Highway in Carchi province.

Revising its travel advice, the FCDO said: “The nationwide political protests across Ecuador that began on 13 June 2022 ceased on 30 June following an agreement between the government and protestors. The situation in the country has calmed since the agreement.

“The nationwide protests in June, and previously in October 2019, caused extensive disruption. Some protests became violent, especially in Quito, and led to a number of fatalities. Avoid any protests or demonstrations and keep up to date with development via official local sources.”

The FCDO continued to warn of a risk of armed robbery throughout the country and that violent crime remains high in the capital Quito and Guayaquil.

“Muggings and pick pocketing are common. Stay alert in public places and avoid walking alone in quiet areas or at night. Look after your belongings,” the advice said.

UK tourists should avoid travelling by road at night due to regular reports of robberies on interstate transport and at bus stations.

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

Travel Booking Online
Logo
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare
0